A key first step to transitioning to digital payments in an organization involves securing the buy-in of senior management. Once management is convinced of the benefits of transitioning away from cash, communicating the details of the transition throughout the organization and establishing relevant structures are also needed to ensure successful implementation.
- Management approval of pilot
- Communication regarding the transition to staff, funding partners, and payees
- Calculation of cost savings
- Establishment of internal mobile money transition team
Toolkit Resources for Phase 1:
- Sample Management Decision Checklist
- Calculation of Costs of Cash and Digital Payments
- Sample Letter to Strategic Partners, Staff, and Payees
- Sample Poster to Inform Payees of New Payment Policy
- Sample Internal Bulk Payment Policies
- Phase 1 Full Resources Package (all of the above)
Estimated Duration of Phase: 2 months
Key Learning: Buy-in from management may not be enough; the payees or beneficiaries also need to have the value proposition of a digital transition clearly articulated to them to minimize resistance.